Saturday, December 30, 2017

His Word Today: Some key questions

Good morning everyone,

Today, the first Letter of John challenges us to ask ourselves: what's the most important relationship that I have right now, and how can I make it even better?

Remember that Saint John, the writer of the letter, was a very young man when he was one of Jesus' disciples.  Young men and women can be very impressionable, but I think that Jesus helped John to ask himself some very difficult but important questions and most of all to be honest with himself.  If we are honest with ourselves, then we too will take the time to ask ourselves the questions that truly matter, the questions that have the power to change the person we are.

Based on John's reflections (cf 1 Jn 2:12-17) here are a few questions we may want to ask ourselves:  Do I truly believe that God loves me enough to forgive any sins I may have committed?  Have I ever loved another person so much that I would be willing to forgive anything that person had done simply because I love him or her so much?  Can I remember the first time that I was aware of God's presence in my life?  Do I truly believe that the word of God remains in me and is actively at work, helping me to stay close to him?  If we have experienced God's closeness to us, if we have encountered his Word and seen its power at work in our lives, we will see the world around us differently.

In the coming days, we will begin a new calendar year.  May we do so with the resolve to look for God every day, to recognize Jesus in the people we meet and to give thanks for the Holy Spirit who is God's presence living and working in our world.

Have a great day.

No comments: