Thursday, July 5, 2018

His Word Today: a prophet speaks

Good morning everyone,

Today, we hear the words of Amos which affirm the call that the Lord has addressed to him:  I was no prophet, nor have I belonged to a company of prophets; I was a shepherd and a dresser of sycamores. The Lord took me from following the flock, and said to me, 'Go, prophesy to my people Israel.' Now hear the word of the Lord!' (Amos 7:14-15).

The authenticity of our call to be disciples of Jesus is born in the fact that it is Jesus who has called us.  It is his work that we attempt to accomplish, not our own.  In fact, if we try to only focus on our own desires and preferences, our efforts echo emptily whereas if we strive to do the will of One who is much larger than we are, someone who loves us more deeply and more intently than we could ever love ourselves, there is another, deeper meaning to the words we speak and to the acts of love that we undertake.

Today, relish the thought that it is not we who call ourselves to carry out our own plans.  Rather we have been called by the Lord, taken from among our peers and sent to speak prophetic words to the world.

Have a great day.

No comments: