Thursday, March 29, 2018

His Word Today: Service

Good morning everyone,

Today is Holy Thursday, the day when the liturgy speaks about service to others.  Service in Jesus' name can only truly be offered by one who is a person of prayer, one who has heard the gentle voice of Jesus speaking in the depths of his or her heart.  This voice whispers to each of us: The spirit of the Lord is upon me because he has anointed me to bring glad tidings to the poor (Lk 4:18).  When we are aware of the spirit of the Lord at work in our hearts, we are filled with joy and this joy is contagious: it begs to be shared with others.

We share gospel joy with others by washing their feet: by serving others in Jesus' name.  Jesus himself is the one who shows us how to be present to our brothers and sisters.  At different moments of each day, he offers us the divine sight which allows us to see opportunities for responding to the needs of others, and as we wash the feet of those we meet, it is our great privilege to experience the heart-to-heart intimacy that results when barriers are broken down and our spirits begin to recognize that we are on a common journey.

Where have I encountered Jesus?  How have my feet been washed by others?  How is Jesus inviting me to wash the feet of those I meet?  Can I accept his invitation?  Am I willing to do what he asks of me, to recognize the precious gift that he offers: the gift of joy that is the fruit of loving service?

Have a great day.

No comments: