Tuesday, May 26, 2020

His Word Today: the Mission

Good morning everyone,

Today, we hear some of the final words that Saint Paul spoke to the Christians of Ephesus.  This was one of the young communities who had heard the Word of God and who were growing in faith.  It was Paul who had first proclaimed this word to them and they had welcomed it, but now it was time for him to leave them.

Paul did not have an easy time accomplishing the mission that had been entrusted to him.  He reflected with the Ephesians: I served the Lord with all humility and with the tears and trials that came to me ... and I did not at all shrink from telling you what was for your benefit ... I earnestly bore witness for both Jews and Greeks to repentance before God and to faith in our Lord Jesus (Acts 20: 19-20).  Despite all the trials, Paul remained faithful to the mission.

Even in that moment, while he was reflecting on these things, Paul felt compelled to carry on with the mission, despite the fact that there would be more obstacles: But now, compelled by the Spirit, I am going to Jerusalem. What will happen to me there I do not know, except that in one city after another the Holy Spirit has been warning me that imprisonment and hardships await me (Acts 20: 22-23).

Have we known and admired the commitment in others to remain focused on the Mission that the Lord is calling us to, despite the trials that always seem to accompany such a commitment?  Have we recognized the same invitation to enter into the Mission ourselves?  If we accept it, there will be trials but the Holy Spirit will always be with us, to warn us of the trials that await and to strengthen us in our faith so that, like Paul, we too can say: I consider life of no importance to me, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to bear witness to the Gospel of God’s grace (Acts 20: 24).

Have a great day.

No comments: