Thursday, May 15, 2008

Gone to God


Not many of us common folk can say that we've had the privilege of meeting the truly illustrioous, but every once in a while, strange things do happen.

I had recently returned from the World Youth Day celebrations in Rome in the summer of 2000 when I learned that aboard the very plane I was travelling was a man by the name of Bernardin Gantin. Unbeknownst to me, this was the very same man who had distinguished himself in the eyes of Pope Paul VI and had served in various dicasteries before being promoted to the position of Prefect of the Vatican's Congregation for Bishops, a position he held from 1984 until 1998. In addition, he served as Dean of the College of Cardinals from 1993 until 2002, when His Holiness agreed to allow him to return to his native Benin.

Cardinal Gantin and I actually met in Ottawa where he was visiting with a friend for some much needed rest and relaxation. We sat at table together and he regaled us with stories which allowed me to grow to love this man, even though I had only met him. He truly had the heart of a shepherd, filled with concern and love for the Church and for those who are the living stones which comprise the people of God.

Having learned that I was on the plane with him, and that I had attended the World Youth Day ini Rome, he quickly dubbed me 'GMG' - short for Giornata Mondiale della Gioventù. Throughout the week he spent with us, we would often meet either in the hallways or in the garden, and he would gently call out, 'Good morning GMG!' Even after he returned to Rome, where he was living at the time, he would call from time to time and if I managed to answer the phone, all I would have to say is, 'Your Eminence, it's GMG'. The conversation would continue as though he had never left.

I lost track of Cardinal Gantin some years ago, but have always kept a special place in my heart and in my prayer for him. It was with sadness therefore that I learned this week of his death, but there is also a sense of rejoicing for this man, a native of Benin, who was so highly regarded by so many, taught me and many others about the importance of the little things, a hand-written note, a phone call, simple words, gentle attitudes ... all this and more are marks of a true gentleman, a man of God, a servant to the saints who walk among us.

Merci M. le Cardinal pour tout ce que tu étais pour nous. Tu intercèderas dorénavant pour nous auprès du Seigneur.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Have said some prayers. It's amazing how some people can come into our lives for a short time and have such an impact.