Thursday, February 7, 2008

Unexpected lessons


Wow, I can't believe that I haven't taken the time to write since January 9! Time has absolutely flown by, and it's been almost a month. Don't let the silence fool you though, into thinking that this mind has been inactive or just unplugged. I learned a valuable lesson many years ago when I mistook a friend's silence as a sign either of disinterest or a lack of stuff to talk about. It's often in periods when we don't communicate with those we love that some of the most significant learnings are going on.

This past weekend, I had a chance to see not one but two movies which are currently showing in theatres. Now, the fact that I actually found the theatre came as somewhat of a surprise, since I can go for months at a time without even knowing what's on, but I actually discovered two gems which you absolutely must see.

On Friday evening, a friend and I went to see The Bucket List, directed by Rob Reiner and staring Jack Nicholson (A Few Good Men), Morgan Freeman (Shawshank Redemption) and Sean Hayes (Will and Grace). I must admit that when I first saw the trailer for this movie, I wasn't terribly impressed. Sometimes when we see the short clips or ads, we know from the feel of the experience that we absolutely must see the film, but this was not the case for me. Perhaps I was distracted, because to tell the truth, this was an emotionally charged experience that took the viewer from joy and elation to sadness and tears.

The Bucket List is the story of a purely chance encounter which leads two complete strangers to become best of friends. The adventures they embark on, and the challenges they must overcome keep the viewer riveted. See this movie if you can; you will not be disappointed.

Just two days later, I found myself watching the movie rendition of Khaled Hosseini's first novel entitled The Kite Runner. I had read the book a few years ago, and remember it as a very good read. It was fast-paced and the story had lots of twists and turns, keeping the reader guessing right to the end.

The movie edition of this tale which débuted just a few months ago is remarkably faithful to the original text. It is a story about friendship, redemption and hope, realities that we all face at some point in our lives. The story is so well told that I found myself anticipating every scene, and recalling with great detail the book I had read a number of years ago.

Struggles and challenges are a part of life. How we greet them is totally up to us. Whether we accept them and take the time to reflect on them is also a decision each of us must make. Life is full of lessons, but it's up to us to learn them, to reflect on them, and to learn to count our blessings. At times, we have the fortune to travel, to visit other parts of the world, and to appreciate the blessings that are ours. At other times, we can be struck with a deep sense of gratitude simply because we have been afforded a rare glimpse of life through the eyes of others who tell the tale of what it's like to truly live.

No comments: