Sunday, February 24, 2008

Quenching thirst


For the past three years, I have been asked to participate as a presenter in an annual Lenten series of lectures given to a group of people here in the city. Each year, the focus is a bit different, but it always calls us to deeper understanding of God's presence that sustains us even in times of our deepest need.

Yesterday, I spent the morning with this group, and spoke with them about the upcoming International Eucharistic Congress which is scheduled to take place in Quebec City this June. The theme chosen for this Congress is The Eucharist: God's Gift for the Life of the World so needless to say my presentation focused around the gifts we receive from God, the gifts that give us life. I even tried to teach them the theme song, entitled God's Gift, although I must confess that I sang it at double tempo. It just sounds more alive at that speed.

The older I get, the more I am convinced that nothing in this world happens by coincidence, so when I discovered that the scripture readings proposed for this weekend included the story of the Samaritan woman at Sychar, who met Jesus at the well, I quickly proceeded to focus on the gift that Jesus offered to her: living water to restore life where there was nothing but battle sores and scars. Each of us too needs this living water to remind us of the life that Jesus came to give us.

The text of my reflection and the podcast of my homily are available for your deliberation as always. May they do just a little bit to help lead you to the Master who gives us all the gift of living water.

No comments: