Sunday, December 9, 2007

Times, they are a changin'


Have you ever noticed that there are times in our lives, especially when we are under pressure, or put to the test, that we wish with all our hearts that things would change, become better, and the faster the change the better thank you very much?

At other times, when we are enjoying life, when things seem to be going well, we long for time to stand still.

The wisdom of the ages tells us that change is constant, and whether we wish it or not, change always affects us, whether we ourselves effect the changes in our own lives, or whether they are imposed upon us. The difference in how they are handled depends on whether or not they are accepted or rebuked.

The bible and other books of philosophy and religion speak constantly of change, usually indicating the possibility for growth in the persons affected, but the human heart is a creature of habit so it resists change, preferring the comfort of the known world rather than the unknown. Yet, there is also a strange intrigue with the unknown, especially in the hearts of the adventurous types among us.

The readings proper to the second Sunday of Advent (Year A) present the figure of the Baptist who calls for change and speaks of better things to come. In my reflection entitled Time for change, I muse over the fact that we have already experienced much change in our lives, and yet we doubt that the things that still seem impossible might actually come about if we have the faith to believe John's predictions. As always, you can read the text of this reflection on the website of Christ the King parish (Sudbury), or you can choose to listen to the vocal score which is podcast every week.

Other musings about this week in parish life are also available in my regular epistle to the flock.

Two more weeks to go ... got your Christmas preparations all under control yet?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Two more weeks to go and I still haven't gotten the tree and decorations up, my shopping is not finished, the parcel is not sent, the gifts are not wrapped, and my baking hasn't even been started. BUT...I have never before been more ready for Christmas. I just made friends with 8 wonderful people while I was doing something positive. And that feels so good. I believe God sends certain people into my life when I need them. I also reached out to an old friend this week and told her my story. She is genuinely happy for me and so the sharing feels really good. And God has already given me the rare gift that only He could give. Am I getting prepared to celebrate Christmas??? YES!!! And by the way, the baking, decorating, shopping and wrapping will all get done. What a change this year. Looking forward to many more changes. Hope is a wonderful thing.