Thursday, December 13, 2007

Angels among us


A few months ago, I got to know a man named Derek. He now lives in another city, but sent me a very interesting email yesterday. First let me give you some background so you will understand where he's coming from.

Derek is Roman Catholic but has not completed all the Sacraments of Initiation, so he asked me one day what he would have to do to be Confirmed. I explained that normally, adults who wish to be Confirmed or to complete other Sacraments of Initiation are invited to follow a series of adult faith formation gatherings which we refer to as the Rites of Christian Initiation for Adults (or RCIA for short).

A few months have now passed, and Derek finally made it to his first RCIA class ... almost. What he did experience that evening though is just as valid in terms of God moments: the opportunities and expereiences that come our way from time to time that allow us to see, touch and appreciate the face of God. Here's his story:

It was a dark and very snowy night ... last night in Ottawa!! I had returned home from work. (After having supper), I cleaned the snow off of my car while it warmed up and made my way to my first adult initiation meeting.

The roads were slippery, but I come from Sudbury and know how to drive ... hehe! I arrived at Good Shepherd parish shortly before the meeting (was scheduled to) begin. To my surprise the only thing in the parking lot was snow!! No other car could be seen. I got out of my car because there was a young woman standing near a door, and I thought to go ask her about the meeting. She said that she had been talking to the parish secretary and was told that someone would be around that would be able to allow her access to the food stores so that she could feed herself and her daughter. She told me her story - that she had to pay her hydro bill and had nothing left, and that it felt horrible to be in this situation at Christmas, especially thinking of her daughter!!

We waited in the snow for about 10 or 15 minutes. No cars came, so I went to call at the rectory/office. The lights were on, but their was no one home. I returned to the young woman and she stated that she would not be able to wait much longer because she had walked 20 minutes to get there and that her ex-boyfriend/husband was supposed to bring her daughter at 8pm.

I asked if there was somewhere close where she could get some groceries. She stated that there was a Loeb's two minutes from her home. I immediately offered to drive her home and buy her some the groceries. She was shocked and said "are you sure....you don't even know me"! I introduced myself and we got into the car. We made it to the grocery store safely and we gathered the basics that she would need to get her through a couple of days, milk, eggs, butter, bread, and I decided to throw in bananas too! She thanked me very much as I thanked her, and we parted ways after this as she was comfortable walking the short distance home.

I felt like GOD allowed me to be an angel, and for this young woman and her daughter I guess I was!!! To be honest I felt like crying, because I was touched by HIS grace allowing me and calling on me to be there for her in her time of need!

Thanks Derek for sharing this wonderful story. We never know when angels may appear on our road, or when we ourselves will be invited to be angels for someone else, so be on the lookout.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know God puts people into our lives so we can learn something from our experience with them. And it is amazing what you learn from who. I bet Derek learned that it is better to give than to receive. What a wonderful feeling. And so great he recognized who gave the call to help out.