Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Out of the mouths of babes


'Hello. This is Matthew. Can you come to my Christmas concert today? It's at 1:00 o'clock.'

With these words, I received a personal invitation from a grade 3 student today to attend the annual Christmas concert. Of course that meant that I needed to re-arrange a few things, but I just couldn't turn down the inviation. I really wasn't too surprised when I arrived at the school to find that there were cars all over the place, and it seemed that every parent was also there to watch as their child(ren) sang, acted and led a series of celebratory moments recalling the innocence of youth, and the blessedness of the season of giving.

Every time I get to visit at the neighbourhood school, I know that I will be surprised by the complete trust and openness of the children. They ask some tough questions at times, but when all is said and done, they just love.

Isn't this the most valuable lesson to be learned in life? Perhaps that's why we focus so much on Christmastime as a reminder of the divine love that was and is shared with us each day. Have you ever noticed how at times this Yule time is an occasion for children of all ages to allow the season to return us to a time when we all were children? when we trusted absolutely and dared to believe that the impossible could truly come true? Why does this have to change when we grow up?

Let a child teach you this Christmas. Listen to the invitation that is offered - to come to a Christmas concert, to play for just a moment, to love without limits, to experience God's grace and the miracle of a child who comes to bring peace.

No comments: