Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Healthy Consequences


“…for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.” (Mt 25: 35 – 36)

If stress is social, relieving the stress of others will relieve stress for all. The better we connect with others the better our health and their health will become. Jesus’s words spoke to caring for others as keys to the kingdom of Heaven. In the chapter entitled Healthy Consequences, Daniel Goleman’s book Social Intelligence speaks of how twenty-first century science can now demonstrate that caring for others will indeed bring a little bit of heaven down to earth for all of us.

While it is easy to care for our loved ones and those close to us, the true challenge lies in reaching out to others, connecting with them and demonstrating true Christian ideals.

Consider the plight of those around us. A walk down inner city streets will reveal the plight of the hungry, the thirsty and the homeless. While many of us may be afraid to reach out to these marginalized people, we can still find many people around us in need. Do you know of a sick person alone in a hospital bed waiting and hoping for a friendly visit, a smile or a few kind words? How about a new mother frazzled by the new challenges of parenthood? In your neighbourhood is there a recently widowed person who now spends many hours alone, longing for the company of their loved one called Home before them?

As a Christian living in the increasingly disconnected twenty-first century, consider taking some time to reach out to someone you sense may be in need. Challenge yourself to find the hungry, the thirsty, the strangers, the sick or the imprisoned who share this world with us and to become living examples of God’s love. Not only will you be fulfilling God’s call, you may also be benefiting your own health.

No comments: