Thursday, March 26, 2020

His Word Today: Testimony

Good morning everyone,

Today's gospel passage (Jn 5:31-47) begins by pointing out an interesting truth which we should always remember.  Jesus says to the Jews: If I testify on my own behalf, my testimony is not true. But there is another who testifies on my behalf, and I know that the testimony he gives on my behalf is true (Jn 5:31-32).  This maxim holds true even today: if I speak on my own behalf, no one is bound to trust my words.  Others may choose to believe them based on established credibility, but in the absence of such previous experience, hearers would be right to question any words I spoke.

Jesus then goes on to give further testimony: The works that the Father gave me to accomplish, these works that I perform testify on my behalf that the Father has sent me (Jn 5:36).  The Jews who were hearing Jesus' words that day did not understand that Jesus was the Son of God, but Jesus was steadfast in his mission.  He knew what he was about.  He had been sent by God the Father in order to testify to the fact that God is always close to us, like a loving father, watching over us and wanting us to walk with him on the journey of life.

Today, Christians all over the world are still called to testify to the truth that God our Father loves us, is watching over us, is walking with us on the journey of life.  We know that Jesus came to earth in order to do this and we need to share this good news with everyone we meet.  Let us not be afraid to tell others about the reason for our joy.  The Holy Spirit is still with us today, walking with us, guiding our steps and inspiring us to be faithful disciples.

Have a great day.

No comments: