Friday, July 11, 2008

Lunch at nan and pop's house


Yesterday, my sister and I met the two Canadian visitors. They were in a coffee shop in town with nan and we were there with our mum. Nan told us that they are priests, but we didn't believe her at first. These men were sitting with us and actually seemed interested in the life of kids here in New Zealand.

They told me yesterday that they remember meeting me when I was still a whee tot. I don't remember ever meeting them, but they tell stories of mum preparing vegetables for me. She'd boil them and mash them and then put them in ice cube trays so they could be frozen and kept in portions for me. My sister and I still come to nan and pop's farm once in a while, and nan always has vegetable soup and other delicious things for us. I don't really like the soup, but I do like to prepare my own sanwiches and I especially enjoy nan's carrot cake and biscuits (the Canadians tell me that they call biscuits cookies - how strange!).

As we arrived at the farm today, two older cousins and one of my aunties were preparing to leave. They had been here for a visit earlier this morning, and had enjoyed lunch with the Canadians, nan and pop. The two cousins will be leaving on Sunday for Sydney to take part in the World Youth Day festivities. The Canadians were chatting with them and promised to visit with them at some point next week while they are all in Australia. I've heard that Sydney is a big city, much bigger than Putaruru where we live. I wonder if they'll be able to find one another.

One of the cousins who is going to Sydney also lives in Canada. His parents, his sister and he moved to Canada seven years ago, and they left a few boxes with nan and pop until they get back. I hear that the Canadians were re-arranging the boxes today, uncovering lots of dust and the odd spiderweb (and even a rat who had eaten through a blanket). I peeped into the garage to check on the progress of their work. They've rearranged the boxes and other furniture so that nan and pop can still park their cars in the garage. It looks all neat and tidy. I'm sure that nan is very happy about this, but I'm not sure that pop really realizes what's happened there.

My sister and I are both happy to have met these Canadians. They say that they too want to come back and visit soon. I hope they do come back before long. In the meanwhile, they have promised to send letters once they get back to Canada. I'll have to look in an atlas to find out where Canada is. It would be great to visit there sometime. I've heard that it can be really cold there. Maybe if I get the chance to go, I'll have to pack all the clothes I own so I can keep warm.
Nan says that the Canadians need to go to bed early tonight, but they might still have a chance to visit (for a short while) with my two uncles. They have to leave very early in the morning so they can get to the airport in Auckland. Their flight for Sydney leaves at 7:00 am. Since we're on holidays from school this week and next, they will probably be already in the air over the Tasmin sea before my sister and I wake up tomorrow.

No comments: