Monday, July 7, 2008

Exploring the garden city


Since our arrival on the South Island last week, we have had a wonderful experience of meeting new friends and being absolutely spoiled by the hospitality which I'm told is characteristic in this country. The humans aren't the only ones who have outdone themselves. In fact, I've asked Abby, our hosts' black poodle to provide the report for today. Here goes:

Two Canadian priests arrived last week. Much to my chagrin, I've had to share some space with these strangers, but they've done well at listening as I've made sure to tell them whose boss around here. This morning, my mom and dad both left shortly before 9:00 am local time, and left me with THEM (the guests) ! Despite my constant calling for them, they never did show up, and eventually even the guests left.

I had to spend the best part of an hour alone, and with all the coming and going around here, the Canadian guests didn't return until almost 5:00 pm. They told stories of exploring Christchurch today, including places of this city I've not even seen, despite the fact that I've lived here all my life. I hope that my masters will one day show me some of the sights I've heard of today: Christchurch Cathedral, the Anglican Cathedral that dominates Cathedral Square, riding the tram around the downtown area, complete with narration about the various sights, and what about all those other adventures that a dog like me could enjoy so well?

Someday I too will get the chance to go punting on the Avon or to visit the museum in downtown Christchurch. The guests say that there are wonderful displays about the Mauri people and their history in this part of the South Island, as well as some of the prehistoric animals and birds that once were found in such abundance around here, but are now extinct.

Christchurch is well known for their botanical displays. Even in the dead of winter, like we are now, there are beautiful flowers to be seen in the beds around the city, and in the many yards that are so well manicured. There's even an Art Gallery in downtown Christchurch that displays some wonderful artwork from some of New Zealand's most well-known artists. The Canadians say that they enjoyed this part too.

I'm told that these guests are leaving tomorrow and flying off to the North Island. My masters have been happy to meet them, and I too must admit that I've enjoyed being spoiled by them, but I'll be glad when they're gone to have my place back to myself ... no, truly they can call anytime. Even though my mummy might not remember them, I will always remember their contageous laughter and friendly greetings.

No comments: